African Politics has become a very lucrative career. Some african leaders are not only powerful, but also rich and famous. Today’s African leaders make plenty of money in a continent where many citizens live below two dollar ($2) per day.
Below are the top 10 highest paid African presidents, according to Jeune Afrique and MyWage. These figures reflect just their base salary.
10) Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, President of Liberia ($90,000 per year)
She is dogged by accusations of corruption, nepotism and failing the nation’s poor.
9) Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo, President of Ghana ($97,000 per year).
His annual income is around $97,000. Salaries of the President of Ghana and his ministers were increased after his election in december 2016, drawing the concern of the general public.
8) Alassane Ouattara, President of Ivory Coast ($100,000 per year)
He is an economist by profession.
7) Muhammadu Buhari, President of Nigeria ($105,000 per year)
Muhammadu Buhari is the President of Nigeria, in office since 2015. He is a retired Major General in the Nigerian Army and previously served as the nation’s Head of State from 31 December 1983 to 27 August 1985.
His annual income was $105,000.
6) Hage Geingob, President of Namibia ($110,000 per year)
In the year 2009, President and all other political tax bearers got a 25 percent salary hike.
5) Joseph Kabila, President of Rep. Congo ($110,000 per year)
However the nation’s electoral authority announced that the election would not be held until early 2018.The President earns $110,000 annually.
4) Ikililou Dhoinine, President of Comoros ($115,000 per year)
Dhoinine is a pharmacist by training.
3) Uhuru Kenyatta, President of Kenya ($132,000 per year)
He led by example in 2014 by taking a pay cut.His basic salary of $14,000 per month was reduced to around $11,000.
2) Abdelaziz Bouteflika, President of Algeria ($168,000 per year)
The annual salary of the President of Algeria is around $168,000.
1) Jacob Zuma, President of South Africa ($272,000 per year)
In 2012, he approved a 5.5 percent salary increase for top public servants.